Jul 26, 2011

Etsy Shop Attempt 1

My camera needs cleaning; please pardon the fuzziness. As I've mentioned before, we are flying-by-the-seat-of-our-pants, make-it-work, of-the-moment, kind of folk. So, sometimes the supplies and equipment are a little not quite there. But we try.

This busy-ness that you all have been hearing about, what is up with it anyways? I will share.

 The story continues after the jump!

Once upon a time, M went to a lot of weddings. Lotta lotta. So many that she didn't have enough money to purchase wedding gifts for all her dear friends. Not happy with showing up empty handed, she thought to herself, "What can I do? What should I give that's also cost effective?" Inspired again by L's mom who created a little recipe keeper for herself, M thought it would be nice to make something like that for her friends as they were all planning on having lots of guests over. (Right, guys?) Thus began the creation of recipe keeper books (I can't find the pictures of the original. This makes me very sad).






  M's friends kept getting married (yay!!). And for the most part, the recipe keeper made good sense so M kept making them (with a few exceptions here there). They started to evolve a little



One day, L was reading some blogs and browsing Etsy. L thought, "Gee, M's work looks a little better than this. Perhaps she should sell them." (I paraphrase. I don't know what she was thinking in her head. Probably something along those lines since that's what she told me). She brought the idea to M and on that day (probably a few days later) LMNOP was created. L and M thought and pondered and improved the little recipe keeper book. And here he is today! 5 sections, 25 pages later:





The store is not up because we don't have enough supplies to continue at the moment.

Also, a friend of mine told me that she notices people on Etsy and not on Etsy have easily copied designs one from another. The example she brought up is those state necklaces with the hearts on them. They started on Etsy, but now, even Urban Outfitters sells them. She did bring up perhaps we would copyright this stuff/ patent. I feel like I bit off more than I can chew. I haven't seen this design before on Etsy. We did quite a bit of "shopping" prior to coming up with this design. Not many people do both pockets and pages.  What do you all think?

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment